Duane Ellis Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * We remember...... * Duane Ellis < Previous Next >

656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 149

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't have any pictures of him on my computer, but quite often he raced the brown and white A&W number 24. More recently he ran a red number 4 B-Mod. I just recently obtained quite a few old pictures of him mostly in the 70s at Shangri-La. A GREAT thank you to Jeff Ackerman for those photos! What a great guy Duane was. He's the reason I'm such a part of racing. He always took me to the races in the 80s as a child and I'm not sure that I ever missed a race at Shangri-La/Tioga as long as I can remember. I miss seeing him race and enjoying his hilarious stories. He always had some good ones. And noone could ever forget his laugh. It was contagious. He is missed immensely.
Jilson17racing
Rookie

Post Number: 84

Posted on Friday, September 29, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

duane was and still is my racing hero i called him grandpa i grew up going to the racetrack and duane always had a way with kids he just took to me he and my dad matt are the 2 most people who tought me about racing. duane was a great guy and always will be remembered

(Message edited by jilson17racing on September 29, 2006)
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 651

Posted on Friday, October 06, 2006 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He ran a Modified and Late Model (late '80s-'90s) #24 too.

(Message edited by Mark on October 06, 2006)
Let's Go Racing! It's Brian's WILD Idea.

Captain History's NYRaceZone.com!
656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 156

Posted on Wednesday, October 11, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would anyone happen to know where I might be able to find photos of Duane for sale? I would be interested in buying many of them.

Mark - I don't recall the late model. I vaguely remember a yellow car maybe in the late 80s/early 90s? But I thought for some reason his son, Bud, raced that car?
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 704

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Duane ran a yellow #24 and Bud ran #4 in Late Model.
Rita Church took Shangri-La/Tioga shots for years and would probably have some of him.

Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 527

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Time for a history lesson. Duane also ran a #22 yellow sedan with a flathead in it in the mid-sixties also ran a Modified for a brief time for Cal Smales. I have a couple of old photos from the mid seventies when I did the Shangri-La program. If you're interested send me an email address and I'll scan them and send them to you.
656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 158

Posted on Thursday, October 12, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69, That would be great if you could send them to eburrell@stny.rr.com I get a lot of junk mail, so if you could put Duane in the subject so it doesn't get deleted that would be wonderful. I certainly don't remember the 22 at all (a tinge before my time), but I'm sure he was great to watch then. Don't shoot but I certainly have no idea who Cal Smales is. I was born in the late 70s, maybe has something to do with it?

Also, anyone know how to get in touch with Rita Church?

Thanks so much Mark and Trivia69 for the info on the pictures and history. I wish I could have been around back then.

Brenda
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 709

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cal Smales fielded Modified #41 for drivers like Wayne Edwards, George Kent, Jerry Cook, Greg Sacks and Doug Hewitt. He then fielded the Late Model #41 for his son Brad starting in 1983.

This was on the back of Rita's pictures. I don't know if it's still correct information.....
Rita Church:
PO Box 405
Morrisville, NY 13408
(315) 684-4378/3750
Also (315) 366-9976/9997

(Message edited by Mark on October 13, 2006)

656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 161

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mark. I greatly appreciate the info. I will try contacting her.

Ok, Brad Smales, now I know who you're talking about. That's a little more in my era now. Thank you again.

Brenda
Orange16
Rookie

Post Number: 86

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

656 - Rita no longer lives in Morrisville. You'll want to try to catch her at one of the numbers at the bottom of Mark's e-mail.
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 712

Posted on Friday, October 13, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I found Rita's address in Wampsville.

Racerdad
Winner

Post Number: 479

Posted on Saturday, November 25, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne Reynolds was Cal's first Modified driver, Cal is a great guy.

Don Reynolds
Prouddad
Rookie

Post Number: 19

Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My family has a ton of pictures of Duane, he was our Uncle. We have a lot of great memories of my Dad and Duane racing against each other. Pictures help us cherish the memories.
Brenda, have your mother-in-law call Phyllis for pictures.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration