Remembering Jimmy Shampine Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * We remember...... * Remembering Jimmy Shampine < Previous Next >

Les
Winner

Post Number: 298

Posted on Tuesday, August 29, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just realized that its been 24 years since Jimmy passed away,it just doesn't seem possible.Jimmy was one of the nice guys,he always had time for the fans ,and his competitors alike. I remember one night at Fulton a friend of mine was having trouble with his late model,he was parked near Jimmy and Jimmy came over and and asked what was going on,they told him and he was able to figure it out,and they went on for a top 5 finish that night. I'm sure ther are other stories about Jimmy but that sticks out because my friend knew he could go to Jimmy and ask for help and He was always willing to help anybody.
Jimmy we still miss you .
Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 267

Posted on Wednesday, August 30, 2006 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That terrible news was one of those events that I can remember where I was and what I was doing when I found out. I'd just started college and my Dad called, at first I thought it was some terrible joke and then I had to spend the rest of the day with a bunch of people who couldn't relate to why I was so out of it. The very first memory of racing I have was seeing that concave rear body panel as we stepped up to the grandstand and saw the pits laid out before us. I've always been a Bellinger fan but I never ever booed Jimmy for winning or cheered when he crashed. And that was through that summer of '78 when he took over the speedway with the radical offset and everyone else looked like they were driving Model T's. I remember being amazed at the entry speed he carried into the corners with that rear engined car and thinking 'This is as close to a ground rocket as I'll ever see.' Though he competed with alot of greats, I'll always think of Oswego as Jimmy Shampine's track during the time he raced there and cherish every program I ever had him sign.
No74falcon
Rookie

Post Number: 14

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jimmy and my father were in the service together. They used to sneak out on drill weekends and go to the races. Dad ended up driving for Sam Virgo and then Herm and Stella Graf and got to see Jimmy often. After my father passed away in 1997, my mom had a new house built and it was Jimmy's brother that ended up refinishing the old claw foot tub my mother wanted to put in her new house. He remembered my dad and he and my mom enjoyed some great memories.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration