Another One We Lost too Soon. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * We remember...... * Another One We Lost too Soon. < Previous Next >

Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 410

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One bad weekend twenty-four years ago we lost two great drivers. This is the second one in my favorite of his cars.Kneisel
Raceguy
Racing Legend

Post Number: 2240

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 5:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Kneisel was always one of my favs. when I was a "youngin"....
Indeed another good one was gone when he passed.
Bigdog13
Winner

Post Number: 373

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This was a classic car and paint scheme. It must have been hard for Red Harrington to cut a shamrock over the Pontiac head on the side of this coupe when he bought it and ran it as the #14. "Ole Bones" was definitely a one of a kind racer and car builder. From the old bugs through the coupes and sedans, the vega, gremlin, and the famous pacer. His cars always looked sharp and ran great. Another Southern Tier Racing Icon !!!
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 418

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't resist posting this one. This is while he was on his asphalt kick in the late 60's and it's a neat looking car.kneisel
Bigdog13
Winner

Post Number: 375

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69,

I seem to remember a blue #280 coupe that might have been the same car with a different paint scheme. With the number 280, did Dave have any early connections with Loren Holland Sr. ?

Bigdog13
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 122

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dave drove the 280 for Loren for awhile.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 423

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mel, I'm not sure if it's the same car but Carl Fellows built a car to run Shangri-La back in maybe 1966 or so and I think it was numbered 8. He had a tough time of it so he had John Cedarbourg drive and they changed the # to 808 and it also had a little periscope mirror in the roof. The car was then sold after some very unsuccessful outings and I think Loren Holland bought it and turned it into this car. There was a blue and white #280 that I first remember seeing in May of 1968 with Kneisel it. This looked to be an entirely different car altogether. I have photos of all those cars but until the copyright thing is settled, I can't post them. One thing I will say for Kneisel he had some of the mos intriguing cars ever raced in the southern tier.
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 127

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PHOTO BY R.SCOTT
Bigdog13
Winner

Post Number: 379

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great Picture !!! And with "The Monk" in the background. Does anyone have a picture of the coupe that Dave raced to beat Lee Osborne in the 100 lapper when Ozzie cooked the motor ? I believe it was in one of those old Gater Racing News Yearbooks at the end of the year. He only raced it for a very short time and then cut it up and brought out something else. The 711 Corvair bodied car that was originally Norm Norton's car was a beauty also.
Ejm51
Winner

Post Number: 476

Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes I miss Ole Bones He helped Me a great deal.He trusted Me when I first got into dirt mod racing as He went out and hooked the trailer and the famous pacer to the back of my pickup one night while I was down to His shop helping him wire up a racecar.I was the 2nd owner of that car ( David then Me ) he told me I could pay Him when I got the money,without ten cents down I might add, And pay Him I did. It took a year or so but He never once gave me a hard time obout the loan,He trusted Me enough to know that I would pay Him. Both ann and David became some of my very best freinds along with lynn and Marcy His daughter's.He was one of a kind.every time I look at a picture of the old pacer It remind's me Of the good times We spent together,some of the very best times of my life.
Uticamike
Winner

Post Number: 263

Posted on Saturday, July 01, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I barely remember DK from my youth. What were the details of his death? Was he killed in a racing accident?
Ejm51
Winner

Post Number: 486

Posted on Sunday, July 02, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

uticamike,
Yes dave died in a racing incident but it never was determined if in fact he had some sort of medical problem whe the accident took place.He was racing at Middletown Ny when he crashed hard into the wall in turn I beleive he was pronounced dead at the scene.
Roarin_thunder
Rookie

Post Number: 1

Posted on Thursday, August 17, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember the night Jimmy Shampine lost his life at Oswego. We were sitting on the back stretch bleachers just off turn two when it happened. It's been almost 24 years and I can still picture it in my mind. They say that there are particular events in history that people experience which they will never forget. That's certainly one I'll never forget!
I still have the Gater News from that weekend with the picture(s) of Jimmy and Dave on the cover!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration