Who Could Ever Forget This Guy. Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * We remember...... * Who Could Ever Forget This Guy. < Previous Next >

Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 371

Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I spent a lot of nights at a bunch of tracks listening to theis guy. He was one of the first to revoluntionize asphalt Modified racing with his innovative ideas, even once running a hemi in a coach. One of my all time feavorite people in all of racing.Sonney
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 388

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sonney Seamon, right Mike?
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 375

Posted on Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup, I learned an awful lot from that man about racing chassis and how they work. Neat Guy.
Eddiebin83
Rookie

Post Number: 75

Posted on Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In light of the recent articles by Jeff Ackerman profiling drivers like John McArdell, Don Diffendorf and Dutch Hoag, I'd like to see one done on this man. Not having known the guy, seen him race or met him, I've only recently come to understand the contributions he made in pavement modified racing. I'd love to learn more about him personally as well as his relationships with guys like George Kent and Richie Evans. Mike, perhaps this could occur here or in the 'Gater'? Maybe others who view this thread could provide some of their own memories of this man? With all that he meant to Richie Evans, as well as others, I'd love to hear more.
Frasson118
Rookie

Post Number: 35

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I still can hear the announcer at Spencer Speedway in the late 60's/early 70's calling the line-up which always included "The Mayor of Vernon Center". Today is the first I heard of his passing, and I just wanted to say that Sonny was a big part of why I became a fan, and that 37 years later, I still have vivid pictures in my mind of the yellow #50 Coupes and Pinto's.
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 28

Posted on Tuesday, May 02, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Mike for the picture, Sonney was my hero.
No74falcon
Rookie

Post Number: 4

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just don't know where to begin. I have so many memories of Sonney and his cars and the people he raced with. His girls were always so good to me in the grandstands. They always watched out for me and teased me until I cried and made sure I had something to eat. I could just go on and on about stories that include Sonney, his family and everyone that raced with him at such a precious time in my life. My father drove cars that Sonney had built and I just feel so fortunate to be brought up around such great peolpe and their families. I would love to sit down with these people that I haven't seen in so long and try and remember old times. Please feel free to e-mail me at no74falcon@aol.com. Thanks so much, Allen Clark
Dwight_clock
Rookie

Post Number: 12

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly. Sonny Seaman and Ed Flemke were the two main guys that taught Richie Evans about chassis setup. I'd say they did a great job!
Rocket88
Rookie

Post Number: 26

Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He also taught Mike Loescher how to build race cars.One year at Oswego,Sonney brought a pet raccoon on a leash. Those were great times.
No74falcon
Winner

Post Number: 420

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 617

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great pic Allen. Sounds like you had a great childhood growing up in a more "trusting" time, watching the races with all your heroes' families.

Do you remember much about Lee Osborn? I re-read my 'Richie' book and the part where he mentions bothering the Turner's for a ride and they ended up helping him put a new front and rear clip on an old coupe and, next year, off he went! Ring any bells?

Thanks. -Brian Lavoie
Mark
Racing Legend

Post Number: 2335

Posted on Sunday, October 28, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lee Osborne is still one of the nicest guys around from my meeting up with him in the last few years.
Let's Go Racing!

Captain History's www.NYRaceZone.com
No74falcon
Winner

Post Number: 448

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mom started leaving me in the stands alone so she could go in the pits when I was 7! I would usually hook up w/ Sonneys girls or whoever else I could find depending on where Dad was racing. Sometimes it was Richie's girls or I would find Sue Cook and sit w/ them because I got along w/ their kids real well. Also got along well w/ Ralph Holmes' kids and Bill Henry's kids. I wore a lot of hand-me-downs from both families. I knew after the races, I had to go in the pits and find Dads car or I would get my backside blistered. Oh how times have changed.
Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 619

Posted on Monday, October 29, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently finished the Ed Flemke book and your story echoed that of Ed, JR. and Paula Flemke; Dad would race while they watched with families of other drivers. I believe Paula said "those were different times"!!
No74falcon
Winner

Post Number: 528

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone remember what Sonney had on the front of his hauler?
Mod2661
Winner

Post Number: 340

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I sure do.It was Mack Truck bull dog.One thing you did not want to do was get down to look at it or you would get it right between the eyes.
No74falcon
Winner

Post Number: 530

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL!!!! Been there Dan!!! Do you remember how Sonney would get you to look?
Uticamike
Winner

Post Number: 817

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sonney was the best damn welder I've ever seen and after Ben Stephens ride over the first turn fence at Trenton I'd bet he'd agree with me. Sonney was one smart cat when it came to car building and set up. He built cars not only for CNY guys but also LI and some NE guys as well. A jokester of the first order,he rivaled RE in that area. I remember the night at U-R Sonney had a "passenger" in the yellow 50 coupe. A blow up doll. Funny stuff!! The "Mayor" is sorely missed.
The above is SOLELY my opinion and NOT the opinion
of any race team I might be afilliated with or their members. Direct all complaints to yours truly. 10,314
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 40

Posted on Saturday, November 10, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anybody remember one sunday night at Fulton.On the roof of the ole coach it said
" Beep Beep Your Azz" I sure miss Sonney.
Met him every week selling programs at
the Shangri-La pit gate for George Barr. At 15
years old I tried to do an article for George"s
program.He did put it in the program to.
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 2563

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sonney Seamon #21 - Shangri-La, 1975
Fred Smith photo

Let's Go Racing!

Captain History's www.NYRaceZone.com

Be kinder than necessary as everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle....

No74falcon
Champion

Post Number: 1009

Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pocono... Grady photo?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration