Archive through April 12, 2007 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through April 12, 2007 < Previous Next >

Studebakerstuff
Rookie

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, November 09, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Gordie Isham brown 37 Chevy coupe was number 111. Gordie refered to the color as "Moose Nose Brown". The car that was involved in the accident was cut up shortly thereafter.
There were two powder blue #37 Art Bradley 1937 Chevy cars. The car number refered to Art's age when he became a car owner.
The original car was built by Pete Hulbert and sold to Art Bradley. Hal Snopek was supposed to drive it but the deal fell through. Gordie eventually got the ride. The original car raced a couple of times at Shangri-La in the early part of the season before FMP opened up.
I have a old Shangri-la program. ( Photos by George???) showing Gordie getting pased by some up and coming kid in the 99. Geoff Bodine

Gordie won the FMP Shafer qualifier in this car on the last lap of the race.
The car in the thread above was the second Art Bradley 1937 Chevy coupe. I was a crew member at the time and completely sanded all the paint off the original body. A new frame and cage were built. The car looked good but did not run very well and the was the begining of the Art and Gordie break up.
Fordman12
Veteran

Post Number: 121

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Which one of the Bradley cars ended up on top of the pile-up in the 1st turn at Middletown during one of the Eastern States weekend? Probably the early 70's.
Studebakerstuff
Rookie

Post Number: 21

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Greetings Fordman,
I do not know which one of the Bradley cars ended up on top of the pile-up in the 1st turn at Middletown. I had moved to Rochester during that time. Dick Longstreet was one of the Bradley cars after Gordie Isham departed. We never went to Middletown when I was on the team. If it was a Gremlin bodied car that was white with orange numbers it might have been Pete Hulbert or Dick Longstreet again.
Sincerely,
Pat
Fordman12
Veteran

Post Number: 122

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Studebakerstuff -

It definitley was one of the powder blue #37 coupes that ended up on top of the pile, and Isham was the driver.
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 143

Posted on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I remember correctly....It was Middletown regular Ronnie Theil who was on top of that pile with his car #17. I think he's a spotted in the cup ranks now
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 895

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who went into the infield and between two poles to "drive a touchdown" at the 1990 opener with his Late Model?
Let's Go Racing!

Captain History's www.NYRaceZone.com
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 667

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ohhhhh man - I can remember that like it was yesterday but can't place the driver. A bunch of us in the grandstands made the "touchdown" symbol afterwards. Want to say Glenn Lippolis but then half the stuff in Late Models over the years could probably be answered Glenn Lippolis. <g>
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 897

Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grinning too! This doesn't fit in the Lippolis category though.
Let's Go Racing!

Paperboy
Winner

Post Number: 799

Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm thinking it may have been Tracy Yeagle (sp?) who made the touchdown, or else Ed Bidlack.
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 903

Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't Tracy or Ed.
Let's Go Racing!

Mod2609
Winner

Post Number: 284

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Pozzi
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 910

Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No to Pozzi.
He was somewhat connected to Valentine's Day.....
Let's Go Racing!

Tochdno5
Rookie

Post Number: 13

Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

al chapman ?
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 680

Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Valentine's day is the 14th, but I don't recall Mike Sexton (#14) driving in 1990. I could be mistaken...
Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 413

Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Made a trip to Owego today and saw the Barleycorn is still in business, some old friends at the Post Office and Bob and Tony Hanbury's race shop - all good. Then I drove by the old girl; like a crater in my heart. It'll always be the place where I took my son to see his first race and though five months old - he loved it!
No74falcon
Rookie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can anyone lead me to any old Fred Smith photos? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Allen Clark
B29bomber
Rookie

Post Number: 22

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Allen, try this.
http://midstateantiquestockcarclub.com/index.html
Click on "Odds & Ends", then the Fred Smith banner. Enjoy.
No74falcon
Rookie

Post Number: 13

Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Like i said in the "favorite track" forum... I must have been 10 years old before i realized not everyone in the U.S. didn't spend their saturday nights from spring until fall at Shangri-La speedway. Oh yeah, it was never Tioga... It always was and always will be Shangri-La to me.
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 971

Posted on Sunday, January 07, 2007 - 7:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred Smith's photos are now owned by Gater writer Ted Schmidt and John Grady. I know for a fact that Ted will be selling his collection very shortly after they are scanned.

The Late Model driver is long retired who made the 1990 "football goal".

(Message edited by Mark on January 07, 2007)
Let's Go Racing!

Mark
Champion

Post Number: 1006

Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 7:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walt Romanik was the Late Model "goal guy" in 1990.

When Evergreen (now Mountain) reopened in 1988, a Shangri-La driver went there and won consecutive features in one of the classes. Who was the driver?
Let's Go Racing!

Speedfreak
Veteran

Post Number: 167

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

#10 Daryl Lewis
Mark
Champion

Post Number: 1023

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It wasn't Daryl.
Let's Go Racing!

Fordman12
Veteran

Post Number: 126

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

PP

Mike Ehurin (sp??)
Mark
Champion

Post Number: 1025

Posted on Friday, January 12, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uhrin
Let's Go Racing!

Mark
Champion

Post Number: 1242

Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's a driver who was running last season.
Let's Go Racing!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration