Archive through November 08, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through November 08, 2006 < Previous Next >

Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 497

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 5 7/8 is indeed Charlie Trombley and he did run Shangri-La a few times in 1966 & 1967. The $1 I think is Jersey driver Dan McLaughlin. who raced this car a couple of times there maybe in the early 70's.
Moondogspot
Rookie

Post Number: 70

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks everyone!
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 619

Posted on Monday, September 18, 2006 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie Trombley's #5 7/8 coupe Modified is in the "Lancaster Heroes" book after he appeared at Lancaster's STP 200 race in 1967.
Let's Go Racing! It's Brian's WILD Idea.

Captain History's NYRaceZone.com!
Tfrock
Veteran

Post Number: 192

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anybody remember the number of the modified that Marty Tarzana (from Syracuse) drove at Shangri-la/Tioga in the early 90's?
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 34

Posted on Tuesday, October 31, 2006 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Twotoneds10
Rookie

Post Number: 94

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

didn't he change it around one year so that it was 66 so that his luck would change. I almost think I remember him saying that in one of his victory lane interviews. But I was only about 10 at the time.
Free bird
Mark
Winner

Post Number: 782

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Marty drove Late Model #99 and then ran #66 his last year in 1999.
Let's Go Racing! It's Brian's WILD Idea.

Captain History's NYRaceZone.com!
Twotoneds10
Rookie

Post Number: 95

Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

haha I misread Tfrock's post. I didn't see the modified part. But, thanks for proving that I'm not crazy Mark lol.
Free bird
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 547

Posted on Saturday, November 04, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not making light of the subject. I would've liked to seen Marty get in a Modified. I can definitely say he was a super guy to know and "hang" with. Okay "trivia dudes" When was this photo taken and bonus points go to anybody who can tell me who won the feature that day.Ron Broad photo Photo from Bevan Family collection. Photographer unknown.
Schoonie34
Rookie

Post Number: 72

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the time period must have been when shangri-la was running sunday afternoons cause it sure looks like a car that ran dirt the night before
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 652

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The steel second level of wall wasn't up yet, so I'll say it was the last season (1958?) before the hiatus, and take a flyer on Monk Rauch in victory lane.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 552

Posted on Sunday, November 05, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes, If memory serves, that wall wasn't installed until after the 1969 accident. The year before the hiatus (great word) was 1956 and Monk Rauch was all done driving when this photo was taken. I'll post a photo of the winner within the next couple of days. Hint: this was a concept race and if you had any other pictures that this photographer took, you'd know when this was done. Another photo from that day.Tommy Ellis Shangri-La Bevan Family photo. Photographer unknown.
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 654

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, then... I'll go with the year that the track reopened - 1962? No idea about the concept.

Re the 1969 accident - I was there but had fallen asleep. All I remember was that I was on my way out to my dad's car and a LOT of people were really upset. We ended up sitting substantially higher in the stands after that. Apparently the car that went in (Gordie Isham's coupe) is still around.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 554

Posted on Monday, November 06, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are correct on the year it was 1962 and I think it was the fifth race of the year. The first three shows used the original set of rules and the car counts decreased by the fourth week, a dozen or so Fonda cars raced and then on week five these cars from the nearby Susquehanna Speedway (now re-named Penn-Can) were brought in and ran three heats, a consi and a feature. If memory serves me, non of these drivers had ever raced on a paved track before so there was a lot of squealing of tires to say the least. The photo below shows promoter Fran Gitchell, starter Red Search and winner Chuck Kime in his #0.
regarding that 1969 incident, I was on radio (for the first time ever) that night with local announcer Jay Manarky as sort of a color commentator and we had just came back on the air when the second started and the accident happened shortly thereafter. I'm not aware of the car still being around yet.Chuck Kime winPhoto from Bevan Family collection. Photographer unknown
Ford14
Champion

Post Number: 1320

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is a photo my MOM&DAD have had for a long time he has raced on both dirt&pavment i didnt know whare to post it so here it is.do you know him?
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 655

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike - re the '69 accident, a guy at a Syracuse show several years ago had a powder blue #37 that he claimed was the car Gordie was driving. I'll see if I can find my pic of the car sometime and (if I can get my Godforsaken recalcitrant scanner to work) post it here.

I can only imagine the noise that those Penn Can cars made trying to go around the corners of Shangri-La. Would have been fun to see!!
Fordman12
Veteran

Post Number: 120

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes -

The powder blue #37 was one of Art Bradley's cars that ran mostly on the dirt with Isham.

The car that went in the Shangri-La stands that nite was a brown #111 coupe. Gordie owned the #111 I believe. Used to sit up on the Colesville RD.
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 656

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Fordman, for clearing that up. Last I talked to Gordie (been years now) all of his old cars were gone. Always liked his #111 Corvair. Sweet little Modified, that one!
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 559

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ford14 was that car driven by George Scheneck from Dundee. I know he had a #46 at one point in time in his career and he did drive on both surfaces.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 560

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes is the the car you were talking about. This was a gorgeous car and the photo was taken at the now defunct Twin Valley SpeedwayArt Bradley carFred Smith photo.
Ford14
Champion

Post Number: 1324

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes he told me that he raced both. i figured you would know?
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 561

Posted on Tuesday, November 07, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

George raced later in his career on the asphalt at Shangri-La, Spencer and Fulton and even went to Langhorne in 1969. Had one of the prettiest coupes I've ever seen. I think it was originally painted a really deep blue and later was morphed into a light blue with red numbers. The photo I'm posting is from a private collection owned by Midstate Antique Stock Car Club historian Mel Ogden. and the photo was taken by an un-named individual. George Scheneck modified
Torpedotom
Champion

Post Number: 1221

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't you just love the set back motors from a lot of these old photos. So many "mid engine cars" long before they were standard issue in the road racing world.
Bakes
Winner

Post Number: 657

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike - That's the car. When it was at Syracuse it had smaller numbers, but still looked about the same. Probably one of the nicest looking ones out there, but I'll always have a soft spot for the Catlin/Townsend turquoise 88 coupe. Don't know what happened to that car/cars - probably part of a door on a Toyota or Frigidaire or something by now.

I agree, the way that the bodies and engines sat on the coupes and sedans back in the day was sweet.

Edited to add: Chris should offer a $100 bonus to the highest finishing B mod using stock tin. These manufactured bodies are, for the most part, butt-ugly.

(Message edited by bakes on November 08, 2006)
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 562

Posted on Wednesday, November 08, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes, I like your idea but guaranteed somebody would whine that it gives someone else an unfair advantage. If they can't have cookie-cutter cars and motors they're not happy. They might have to use a little ingenuity instead of their wallets. Anyway. Here is the Catlin three window at Penn -Can. Enjoy Fred Smith PhotoCatlin Car at P-C

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration