Archive through September 17, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through September 17, 2006 < Previous Next >

Vintage44
Veteran

Post Number: 171

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As soon as I posted I realized I'd misspelled it. You are correct. Don Yeingst (with whom I'm quite familiar) also drove a few versions of the '04'.
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 455

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V44,
Are either of those guys still around? I remember Yeinst had a hemi powered Falcon that seemed to have tons of HP, but never seemed to handle...maybe too much HP for those old hard tires to use. (sorry about the "s"...sometimes I can't seem to hoelp myself...lol)
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 456

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

help (not hoelp)!
Vintage44
Veteran

Post Number: 172

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don is still around, living near Windsor, NY. Mike died several years ago. The Falcon you remember was from my dad's junkyard/garage back in the 60's when Don drove several cars sponsored by my dad. Yes, all kinds of HP in that Hemi, just couldn't get it around the corners. Unfortunately that engine passed on to its reward when someone forgot to drain the water from it one fall and the winter temps in the garage allowed mother nature to demonstrate how water expands when frozen. Nice to communicate with someone who remembers the good ol' days.
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 457

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

V44,
Yeah, I remember some, but have forgot a bunch too! Still love the look / uniqueness that each car had back then. I'm kinda "casually" keeping one eye open for a late 60s - early 70's asphalt Mod to restore. Seen a few (Jeff Ackerman has given me a few leads), but so far nothing has really grabbed me. If you know of any, let me know. Are you in either of the Vintage clubs? If you want, you can send me an e-mail w/some of your personal data. I'm always interested in swapping yarns from the old days.
wfitzsimmons@yahoo.com

Bill
656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 125

Posted on Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anyone have any pics of Duane Ellis He was my wifes uncle and would like to get some pics for her. They were real close and I think it would mean a lot to her.
thanks
B29bomber
Rookie

Post Number: 3

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

656 - I have some, I'll post on our website -
midstateantiquestockcarclub.com - go to 'odds & ends' then click on the 'Fred Smith' advertisement. I'll get them on this weekend. Let me know how to get ahold of you and I'll send them to you too - use our 'contact us' tab. I'm sure your wife will enjoy them. - Jeff
656crewguy
Veteran

Post Number: 127

Posted on Wednesday, July 12, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jeff.
You can send them to eburrell@stny.rr.com.
Maweenie
Rookie

Post Number: 18

Posted on Saturday, September 09, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i was wondering if anyone knows who the the original founders of the owego fan club were. I know one but not the other.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 490

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The founding members of the We-Go Racing Fan Club founded in 1964. Don and Ann Stevens, Don Jessup, Dave and Grace Dence, Homer Weber, Jerry and Betty Rich. I think there were others involved but my memory of this escapes me at the minute. I was a member from the next year (1965) and remember wearing my brand new Fan Club jacket to Glen Aubrey in 1966. It was a great organization that did a lot for local auto racing both here in the southern tier and other places as well.
Maweenie
Rookie

Post Number: 24

Posted on Sunday, September 10, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was told my grandfather, Phil Yaw, was a co- founder of the club, but i'm not certain.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 492

Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maweenie, Could very well have been. I know he was around in the early days and his was one of the names I couldn't come up with last night when I responded. I also remember him working at Shangri-La back in the Fran Gitchell era. Hope that helps
Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 280

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69: Glad to see you're back after June's flood. Second to my worry re: your situation, is my concern for what must be a very extensive racing memorabilia collection. How did that survive, or dare I ask? I know your part of town gets hit hard and really must have been a nightmere this time. Brian Lavoie, Town of Binghamton resident.
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 30

Posted on Wednesday, September 13, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob and Nancy Milligan were also founders
of the We-Go Fan club.
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 141

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just wondering..... What's the chance of re-forming the WE-GO Fan club? A lot of "OLDTIMERS" out there today. We need a way to honor the drivers of yesteryear. KEEP THE HALL OF FAME ALIVE.
Maweenie
Rookie

Post Number: 30

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

even though i'm his grandson, phil yaw III, I would really like to see the club reform and I would help any way I could in his memory.
Oldguy
Veteran

Post Number: 244

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about that, Trivia69? You know that I'd help.
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 31

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many people know what We-Go stood for.
Mike no fair answering this one.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 494

Posted on Thursday, September 14, 2006 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Steve, I wouldn't spoil the fun and I did forget the Milligan's even tho' I do see Julie once in awhile around the tracks. The We-Go Racing Fan Club never officially folded, just went into hibernation. Being the last active president I wouldn't be opposed to re-froming it if enough active (and I think that's the keywod here) interest in it were shown. I still have at least three or four Fan Club jackets still collecting dust in my closet. Mark, I never thought of you ever being an old timer when you were a teenager selling photos for the Smith's. Brian, thank's for your concern. I've moved to higher ground after the last one and for the most part all the damage to racing memorabilia was some pictures that I'm still having trouble unsticking. Material things you can replace, memories you can't.
Eddiebin83
Winner

Post Number: 281

Posted on Saturday, September 16, 2006 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Great to hear, Mike. Good luck with the pictures. This site hasn't been the same since the photo fiasco. I really enjoy seeing the old coupes and any supermodified... I've learned alot. Mark, I worked with your dad the summer you put Scott Landers in your Sportmod at Shangri-La. He sure made a boring day at the Post Office fun with his Daytona stories at Mike Loescher's place.
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 71

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>> How many people know what We-Go stood for.

Did it have anything to do with the club originally being composed of supermodified fans who would go to O-we-go on Fridays and Os-we-go on Saturdays? There was the common thread of the spelling and the description of what they did: we go racing.

Am I close, or am I just pulling the answer out of my a--?
Racewear
Rookie

Post Number: 32

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

35mmracer you got it!
Moondogspot
Rookie

Post Number: 69

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was wondering if Trivia69 or MOD27NY or anyone else would help me ID a couple of photos which were posted recently on lasheefs.com. If you click the links below they should bring you to the pages were the photos are locatedÖ

http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages%20Cote/CoteCoupesCoaches20.html
Scroll down to the last (10th of 10) photo on this page. Red, White & Blue- Modified # 5 7/8 that Iím guessing was taken around í64-í67. Can someone tell me who the driver is? I remember seeing the car in an old Shangri-la yearbook I once had.

http://www.lasheefs.com/Pages%20Cote/CoteCoupesCoaches2.html
Iím wondering about the first photo on this page. Red coupe # 1S. Judging by the looks of the white fence along what appears to be the backstretch, it looks like it was taken at Shangri-la. Any idea who the driver is?

I posted a question inquiring about more info on these photos on the web-siteís message board a few days ago, but have yet to get a response.

(Message edited by MoonDogSpot on September 17, 2006)
Maweenie
Rookie

Post Number: 31

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the secong one looks like his last name is McLaughlin possibley. I don't know if it says Dan or Don though.
Orange16
Rookie

Post Number: 85

Posted on Sunday, September 17, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charlie Trombley drove a 5 7/8 back in the 60's. He was mostly an Airborne/Catamount guy, but he used to venture down into our tracks once in a while. He was from Mooers Forks NY, way up north - also the home of Dick Nephew. Charlie may have taken a shot at Shangri-La once or twice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration