Archive through June 27, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through June 27, 2006 < Previous Next >

Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 409

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

See...that's what a few more yrs. (you over me) will do for ya, Mike. I gotta say I have never seen any of those cars before! Is the car on the right pictured from the back or front? Hard to tell if it's coming or going...but very cool!
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4181

Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It looks like a front to me with the car on the right.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 446

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Shangri-La/Tioga in those early days had a major mish-mash of cars and the early rules stated that you could run 1 4barrel carb. and pump gas and paid $500 to win. After the Oswego Classic they went to open rules with fuel injection allowed. This was a unique day in the long history of the track as it was the first appearance of Dutch Hoag in the back-up Bill Wimble car and it was also the day that Roger Dunsmore flipped the Mel Dodge Edsel powered Red #96 coupe. This was also the last show with the old rules as the next two shows were rained out. The next time they raced this car showed up and a whole new class of car made it's Shangri-La debut. The car on the right has it's front end showing while on it's trailer and I don't have a memory of either car. I've got a couple more which I'll get around to posting some other time. Neat Huh!!!Diff Photo By Michael E. Monnat

(Message edited by trivia69 on April 14, 2006)
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

>> The car on the right has it's front end showing while on it's trailer and I don't have a memory of either car.

Mike:

re the photo you posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 9:30 pm:

I don't have time to dig through the old programs today, but the one on the left with the very rounded top looks like something we published in one of the programs in 1978 or '79. Could it be Bryan Osgood?
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4190

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It might be Jack Greedy in the #110 from 1962.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 447

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike, the car with the rounded roof, I don't think it is Osgood although I remember a car Osgood drove that looked like that. It first belonged to Norm Evenden from Elmira and it had a FI GMC 6cylinder motor in it and if I remember it was a beautiful shade of blue and caried the #49. There was a picture of one of his cars (although not the one I'm talking about) on the old Chemung Speedrome Website. I have a photo of the Evenden car somewhere although I think it was one of the ones that got water damaged in last year's flood. Anyway that car had an enclosed hood and the one pictured has an open one. The car pictured above was the John Manny owned and built Super Modified that Don Diffendorf drove and later to be driven by Red Barnhart as the Colt 45, owned by Stan Shields. The coupe #110 in the earlier photo was white and the insert panel where the number is was yellow and it had red or orange numbers. I don't recall that car ever being there before or after. It could've been, but I don't remember it.
Eddiebin83
Veteran

Post Number: 131

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm amazed at how little there was to those old cut downs/bugs/supermodifieds of the early days. I wonder how much some of those cars weighed. I'm also in awe of those who drove them. Thanks for getting some more vintage shots back on here guys.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 448

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A lot of them were just some tubing for a roll cage plus some strategically placed sheet metal. If You look at some the early Super Modifieds and the 6 Cylinder bugs than ran in the western part of the state, you wonder how more of the brave guys didn't get hurt. Check out where the pit gate was in the early days. The first few weeks, they drove around the dirt bank that surrounded the first and second turn and came across the backstretch. Good friend 35mm racer emailed me back copies of the photos of the Norm Evendon car that we used in the Shangri-La program. This car was immaculate from top to bottom and a little underpowered at the big Shangri-La track. I'd loved to have seen this car at a place like Andeson, Indiana which is a high-banked 1/4 mile. That would have been awesome. Osgood later bought this car and won with it in central Pennsylvanina in the 30x90 days.EvendonPhoto by Michael E. Monnat
Jmrpage
Winner

Post Number: 351

Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4195

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Where was that Osgood #09 picture taken and what the heck is that thing behind the guardrail?!?!?
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 450

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it may be Selinsgrove and it's a pagoda. Before people got smart and put the scorers and other track officials on the outside of the track, some places used to have a tower in the infield (especially a lot of old Fairgrounds tracks. If you notice a lot of vintage NASCAR races the number on the roof is facing the infield. That's because most of the scoring was done from an infield position. The last time I went to Brookfield in 1995 and scored for the CNYMS we used the infield tower to do this. Fonda had one, Midstate had one, Reading had one and even Syracuse had one. similar to the one in the infield pictured here. I think originally it had to do more with Horse Racing that Auto Racing as the announcer had a better view of the whole track from that position. Not 100% sure if it's Selinsgrove or Williams Grove but I'd bet serious money that it's one of them.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 451

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey anybody out there got a photo of the #5 that Lee Bliss raced at Oswego in the early sixties. I just realized the front end of the car on the right look like it may be that car. Wasn't there also a #53 that Roger Boas drove that was also similar to the #5 of Bliss. Anybody got a clue on this or am I just ramblin' aimlessly here.
Jmrpage
Winner

Post Number: 352

Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

im not positive but it was taken at one of the pa dirt tracks
Kenny5861
Rookie

Post Number: 10

Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would have guessed Port Royal, Their web site has Osgood down for 15 wins.
Mod2661
Veteran

Post Number: 237

Posted on Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That shot of Dick Clark's win in '78?There is Linda Hedger,Dutch Hedger's bald head and Dick's son,Douglas.GO 16 !!!!
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 6

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Vol 3 - No 15 Shangri-La Racing News 1973
Feature Wins 1964 - 1973

Dutch Hoag 49
Don Diffendorf 22
Bill Strosahl 22
Geoff Bodine 12
Lee Osborne 10
Mike Zopp 10
Jerry Hayes 8
Mike Loescher 6
Bill Blum 5
Jerry Cook 5
Sonny Seamon 4
Bryan Osgood
Richie Evans 4
Guy Chartrand 4
Graeme Bolia 3
Jim Shampine 2
Maynard Troyer 2
Bob Merz 2
Ed Rafferty 2
Ed Peiniezak 2
Ron Wallace 1
Gary Reichart 1
George Kent 1
Bugs Stevens 1
Dave Nichols 1
Roger Treichler 1
Jack Murphy 1

Does anyone have the entire list from opening to closing?
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 7

Posted on Sunday, May 07, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

From Vol 3 - No 15 Shangri-La Racing News 1973
Feature Wins 1964 - 1973

Dutch Hoag 49
Don Diffendorf 22
Bill Strosahl 22
Geoff Bodine 12
Lee Osborne 10
Mike Zopp 10
Jerry Hayes 8
Mike Loescher 6
Bill Blum 5
Jerry Cook 5
Sonny Seamon 4
Bryan Osgood
Richie Evans 4
Guy Chartrand 4
Graeme Bolia 3
Jim Shampine 2
Maynard Troyer 2
Bob Merz 2
Ed Rafferty 2
Ed Peiniezak 2
Ron Wallace 1
Gary Reichart 1
George Kent 1
Bugs Stevens 1
Dave Nichols 1
Roger Treichler 1
Jack Murphy 1

Does anyone have the entire list from opening to closing?
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4337

Posted on Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There isn't a complete win list from opening to closing to my knowledge. I compiled the one that's on the Tioga website through 2002 (King Design still displays it), but I'm missing some of the early years.
George Kent topped the list with 97 victories when the track closed last year.
Tioga/Shangri-La Modified Win List

(Message edited by Mark on May 31, 2006)
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 8

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What was the modified feature lineup handicap method for Shangri-la? Seems to me like one of the best. You can really appreciate the number of feature wins when you know most did not come from the front row..
Larry756
Winner

Post Number: 801

Posted on Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

3 week method point leader starts in rear.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 467

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Back in the 60's and 70's when Jack Barton, Limey Denton and Bill Barno did the handicapping I think they used a system brought from the real early days of local racing where the low point cars would race in the first heat, the next point cars in the second and finally the high point cars would go in the third. It wasn't until sometime in the 70's that changed. When I did the handicapping there and Ken Waibel did the handicapping in the eighties and nineties, the popular three week money earned system was used. There were a lot of people who liked the low/first, high/third deal. It certainly was something watching Hoag, Osborne, Hayes, Diffendorf, Strosahl all in one heat with the brand new cars. Good stuff. Feature win lists in the Triple Cites area tracks are almost impossible to compile as there were never any complete records kept any any of them. Gary Gitchell had records from 1962 when the track reopened until his father left in 1975. The real early days of the stock cars sanctioned by STSCC and FLRA went mostly un-noticed and then in the last days before it originally closed ca. 1955-1956, it was haphazardly done so I'm be willing to bet that records for those shows don't even exist save for the final 100 lap tag-team race that Keith Hackley won by himself in 1956. Compiling a complete win list from Shangri-La would be a daunting task at best.
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 64

Posted on Friday, June 23, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always preferred the '60s heats method, because like talent/money/experience usually raced with like talent/money/experience.

I know at one time in later years someone had the brilliant idea of mixing the cars up so that all of the hot dogs were spread out over all of the heats. Supposedly this would make things more "interesting", but it was boring as heck watching one or two cars always run away with each of the heats.

Of course, also adding to boring heats was the evolution of purchased vs home-built cars (ie, everyone had the same stuff), a track that was somewhat deteriorating so that very few wanted to run the outside grove, etc. Contrast that to the '60s when people like Diff used to make it three-wide in the corners during the charge to the front.

Unfortunately those days will never come back.
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 453

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's an easy one:
Who was the owner of the 04 coupe Mike Zopp drove for in 1965 (I think that's the correct year)?
Vintage44
Veteran

Post Number: 170

Posted on Monday, June 26, 2006 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wess German (Broome Heating)
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 454

Posted on Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct, V44, although maybe only one "s" in Wes.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration