Archive through April 12, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through April 12, 2006 < Previous Next >

Torpedotom
Champion

Post Number: 1107

Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah yes, those Gater Yearbooks were great. I only have 2 but they are full of memories.
"A man's got to know his limitations" Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry
Paperboy
Winner

Post Number: 714

Posted on Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DesertDan:

Hey, good to see you have joined us on here. How's the family? Your boys must be in college by now.
Bring on your trivia questions. Since we can't post pictures right now, might as well explore our archives of our brains for entertainment.
Lynchmobb
Veteran

Post Number: 135

Posted on Monday, April 03, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69 - small world! My daughter lives on Camelback in Phoenix - we went to see manzanita last fall - no races, but the groundskeeper let us in to walk around the place - great facility!
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 3

Posted on Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69. I imagine that Manzy looks the same today as it did when you were last there.

Question: Would you be the official historian of Shangri-la? How far back to the feature finishes go? If you don't have them on a database I would be glad to enter them.

Paperboy and Moondogspot.. I was thinking about emailing Gater and Program Dynamics to see if they actually have photo archives. Can you imagine just collecting all of those Oswego Program pictures in one place?? I was just reading the one from 78 classic weekend and it has to be my favorite. There must be 50 supers and every single one is different! I was also reading the Modified Scene.

So before I dig deeper in my archives..

Blue #30 coupe. Hint , wife used to scream at us. (This one is ez)

S.J. ____________

What was interesting about the neat # 87 coupe, Neil Tooley I think?
Mark
Racing Genius

Post Number: 4109

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you talking complete feature finishes, results or what?
I have it broken down by years and classes for winners. That was needed to compile the divisional win lists. I don't have everything back to 1946 though.
Paperboy
Winner

Post Number: 716

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The "Bounty Hunter" no. 87 that Neil Tooley drove had a small block tilted about 20-30 degrees to the left, and offset as well.

S.J. Rotunda

Chuck Frisbe had only No. 30 coupe I remember
Orange16
Rookie

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did Duane Ellis spend some time in a blue #30 coupe? Maybe Tom Pelto too.
Lynchmobb
Veteran

Post Number: 136

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Johnny Goth also drove the #87. I don't remember who drove it first.
Mod27ny
Veteran

Post Number: 129

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Orange #87 coupe was Jerry Hayes
Les
Winner

Post Number: 252

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember Johnny Goth,number 87 from the north country. He had The Bounty Hunter on the back of his car
Paperboy
Winner

Post Number: 717

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Goth, I believe, owned the bounty hunter No. 87. Neil Tooley drove for him at Shangri-La as a semi regular in I believe 1970, or possibly '71.
Different car than the Bob Page No. 87 of Jerry Hayes, but both were orange.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 438

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't Frank Bird also drive the offset #87 also. That was a unique piece to say the least. Actually Manzanita as I remember it had both a quarter and half mile track. The Jalopies ran the quarter and the CRA Sprints ran the half. I'm also sure there's a lot more urban sprawl in and around the speedway now. Until they made clones out of the Oswego Supers, the variety of cars was truly neat. The first Classic I saw was in 1962 and they had over eighty cars and you can imagine the variety. Also went to the Langhorne National Open for the first time that year and they had the greatest variety of cars there that year as the Pennsylvanina "Bugs" were legal that year. I remember the Frisbie coupe. That's the one where the body went into the trees one night. I remember Eliis in a #30 coupe but not Pelto. I think there was a light blue #40 coupe that Bob Frisbie drove and later Pelto or maybe vice versa. I think Al Schutt owned this car. I also think it had a Ford motor. Neal Tooley had that horrible accident at the State Fair in either 1970 or 1971 where a piece of guard rail pierced the interior of the car. I think that was the #120 white sedan.
Paperboy
Winner

Post Number: 718

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had forgotten Duane Ellis in the No. 30 coupe, but you guys have jogged my memory, and now I do vaguely recall that car.
I think Frank Bird's car was No. 37. Not sure if it was the same bounty hunter car, or just similar looking. (If it was a different car, then perhaps the same person built both?)
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 4

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The blue 30 coupe was Duane Ellis he'd spin in turn 1 and we'd boo just to make his wife scream (we were rotten). Remember those beautiful A&W latemodels?

The 87 I believe was Neil Tooley and was built and or maintained by a high school BOCES class. It may have been owned? by Bird.

What year was this?
04/20 Bodine Troyer Nichols Seamon Reichart
05/04 Too Cold
05/11 Bodine Evans Cook Nichols Diffendorf
05/18 Bodine Diffendorf Nichols Osgood WEdwards
05/24 ??
05/30 Bodine Seamon Fowler Cook ?
06/08 Kent(20) Bodine Nichols Seamon Fowler
06/08 Bolia(20) Loescher Bodine Henry Fowler
06/15 Rain
06/22 Nichols Seamon Diffendorf DtHoag WEdwards
06/29 Rain
07/06 Nichols Diffendorf Bodine Cook Evans
07/13 Bodine Diffendorf Seamon Stephens Yeingst
07/20 ??
07/27 Bodine Diffendorf Evans Bolia Cook
08/03 Evans Nichols Diffendorf Loescher Cook
08/10 Bodine Cook Seamon Diffendorf Evans
08/17 Loescher Diffendorf Stephens Kent Bolia
08/24 Bodine Nichols Seamon WEdwards Stephens
08/31 Power Fail
09/07 Kent(25) Seamon Diffendorf Nichols Troyer
09/07 Troyer(25) Peniziak Seamon Kroft WEdwards
Raceguy
Racing Legend

Post Number: 2262

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 5:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'73?
Uticamike
Veteran

Post Number: 202

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'72
Orange16
Rookie

Post Number: 61

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 439

Posted on Friday, April 07, 2006 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Orange16, I got one for ya. If this isn't Shangri-La Trivia I don't know what is. This photo was taken by me on a happy occasion in the late 70's. Recognize anybody in this photo. Photo credit to Michael E. Monnatwinner
Shamrock_3x
Winner

Post Number: 405

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Looks like Dave Nichols to me, Mike...is it?
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 58

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike:

Hey ol' buddy, ol' pal. I hate to stir up this ownership issue again, and I know it was almost 28 years ago and it's hard to remember everything, but are you sure you're the one that took that photo? Because I'm sitting here with the negatives from that night in my hand ...

Anyway, the night was July 22, 1978 and the winner is Dick Clark in the #16.
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1974 it was.

Here is 1971
04/23 DtHoag Evans Bolia MTreichler Bodine
04/30 ?
05/07 DtHoag Bodine Wallace Diffendorf Loescher
05/14 ?
05/21 Bolia Burdick BMerz Seamon Bodine
05/28 Seamon Nichols Stephens Sweeney LEdwards
06/04 DtHoag Bodine Osgood Burdick Sweeney
06/11 DtHoag Burdick Osgood BMerz Loescher
06/18 Diffendorf Stephens ?
06/25 DtHoag Stephens Diffendorf Osgood Loescher
07/02 Diffendorf DtHoag Burdick Seamon Harris
07/09 ?
07/16 Diffendorf Loescher Seamon BMerz Burdick
07/23 Bodine DtHoag Diffendorf Seamon Cornelius
07/30 DtHoag Bolia Loescher MTreichler Evans
08/06 DtHoag Nichols DnHoag Bolia BMerz
08/13 Bodine Bolia MTreichler Loescher Seamon
08/20 DtHoag
08/27 DtHoag Loescher Seamon Bolia Rafferty
09/03 DtHoag Bolia Diffendorf Seamon Rafferty
09/10 Nichols Bolia DtHoag WEdwards Moody
Orange16
Rookie

Post Number: 62

Posted on Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, with thanks to Trivia69 for posting that photo and all due credit to whoever took it, I can confirm 35mm's identification of my Dad's last win at Shangri-La in 1978. The flagman, with his back to us, was big Joe, who I believe came over from Five Mile Point that year. Was his last name Winterstein? I can also see Randy and Lynda Hedger in that photo.

Gentlemen, that photo brought back a lot of happy memories. My kids can't remember seeing their grandfather walk, and they never saw him race. So it was pretty cool for them to get to see that particular photo of that particular night. Thanks so much for letting us see it.

35mm, please e-mail me at string6633@msn.com.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 443

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

35mm, Mike I apologize for that. I was shooting some of my own photos for the program and I inadvertantly got some of yours mixed up with mine and there was no photo credit on the back of the photo and I thought it was mine. Sorry. I guess I'll have to be more careful when posting. String Glad you enjoyed it.
35mmracer
Rookie

Post Number: 59

Posted on Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike:

No problem - I was just jerking your chain a bit.

I can't remember if during that first year I had a photo stamp yet or was just sticking address labels on the back. If the latter, it probably came off after all of this time. Then again, since I was taking them directly to your house on Monday nights to work on the program, I probably didn't bother with marking them at all, as we all knew which ones were yours, mine and P.J.'s.

Of course, it got more complicated in '79, as not only were the three of us shooting, but so were Chip Lines and Mike Thomas, Mary Buchak, and Steve O' came back as well.

I always thought Steve O' was a bit nuts, but I guess when you make your living painting flag poles and church steeples, you no longer have a fear of anything. It always amazed me when Steve would stand right on the edge of the front straight shooting with his twin lens reflex camera. For those that aren't familiar with them, twin lens cameras use a large format film and you shoot by holding the camera down around your waist and look down to see the viewfinder. The image in the viewfinder is reversed as well. It's hard to follow the first rule of being in the infield - always keep your eyes on the cars - when you're looking down at your feet! And standing on the edge of the track also gives you nowhere to run.

Another memory of Steve is the first time I got on the outs with Dale Campfield (there were many <g>). He wanted me to stand outside the track in turn one and take shots to give a different perspective. I refused - I said I had no intention of having a close-up photo of a race car's front end published with the caption "Mike's last photo". When I told Steve about it he said "Damn! I've been trying to get them to let *ME* stand outside the track and shoot for years!"

I told him he was welcome to do it. And he did, most every week.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 445

Posted on Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay all you Shangri-La racing geniuses, I dug this one out of my very old bag of tricks. I took this in the pits on September 9th 1962. Once again I put a name on the back of this picture I don't think was correct. Can somebody help me on this. Also you'd be really good if you could tell me who the other two cars are that are partially pictured. Photo credit by MIchael E. Monnat#110

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration