Archive through March 30, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through March 30, 2006 < Previous Next >

Mod2661

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69,thats easy,it was the coach with "TUBES"
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Way to go Mod2661. Hey where were you yesterday. Missed seeing you.
Mod2661

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DRINKING BEER !!!!!
Moondogspot

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69-To order the book "Eastern Bull Rings", you can visit the author's web-site: www.roseracingpublications.com

From the looking over the book, 1949 is the only year any AAA "big car" Eastern series races were run at Shangri-la. The only other items relating to SLS besides that year's stats were a copy of a Speed Sport ad for Shangri-la's July '49 AAA race and a small photo of three sprint drivers taken at Shangri-la in Oct '49. That's it.

Looks like he's working on a History of the URC sprints due out in 2006. Hopefully, it will have more Shangri-la photos in it.

(Message edited by MoonDogSpot on May 30, 2005)
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Moondogspot. I'll definitely check it out. I know this isn't a trivia question but can anybody out there tell me when Russ Tubbs was fatally injured at Chemung. I'm working on a local racing project and it was probably on the old Chemung website but that's gone so I need some help here. Thanks
Mod2661

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69,it was 1963.Hope that helps you.
Paperboy

Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia 69:

1963 is correct for the Russ Tubbs fatality.

I still have the file of the Chemung history that I wrote a few years back for AARN. If it would be of any help, I can send it to you. It's the one that was on the former Chemung website.
I've been planning to contact Jeff Long to see if he would like it for his current Chemung website.
Racewear

Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Two southerners, Billy Yuma and Frank Riddle?
Bigdog13

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will Cagle was in a gold colored dirt sedan #24 and he wasn't real competitive that night !!! Hah, and I guess you thought I only went to dirt races !!!
35mmracer

Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK - looks like it's time for a new question. This one is a two-parter, and involves an important part of a track's operation - the Scorers.

And to be fair, sorry TRIVIA69 but you're not allowed to answer. (g)

1) While women weren't allowed in the pits in the late '60s and early '70s, these two women who were the Shangri-La scorers were among the best in the state. Who were they? (Hint: one had ties to a track employee, the other to a driver)

2) What driver shocked these two women when he showed up at the track with a new race car, and what slogon was written on the car that made their faces turn red?
Racewear

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1 Pauline Search and Sallie Bolia
2 no idea
35mmracer

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Racewear: Correct on Part 1.

As for Part 2, it was a major Modified driver. Hopefully that will help people narrow it down.
Racewear

Posted on Tuesday, August 23, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could it have been Richie "Bed full of Sweat"
35mmracer

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And we have a winner! Congrats, Racewear.

The full phrase was "Love is a bed full of sweat". (they are no minors here, right?) His next car was titled "Love is a bed full of sweat II". Eventually he just dropped most of the phrase and the cars were numbered "Sweat nnn", where nnn = the version of the car.

Along similar lines, how many people remember the artwork on Maynard Troyer's car? On the air dam there was an airbrushed portrait of a beautiful naked woman stretched out lying on a bed. Unfortunately all you saw was her back side.

However, if you got down on the ground and looked at the air dam from underneath the car, then you of course got to see her from the other side.

Ah, the things car builders do to break up the monotony of working every night until 3 am! (g)
35mmracer

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's try another one. Whose car caught on fire on opening day, 1972?
Shamrock_3x

Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

35 mmracer,
Speaking of ribald sayings on cars, the deck lid of Maynard's Pinto in 1976 had a nice little mural (by Spook, as usual), with the saying..."Born on a mountain, raised in a cave. Truckin' and f...in' is all that I crave"!
Xdan18

Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out the timing on this one! - I'm taking a history class at SUNY and just got a letter in the mail from my professor setting us up with an early assignment - take a trip to a historic place, write a 3-5 page paper about it including why it's important and your experiences there, due Sept. 10th...I said, NO PROBLEM! ...except this lady is about as far away from being a race fan as you can get so this will have to be one helluva paper if I want an A...but what better topic than the closing of Tioga...and what better excuse to spend the weekend at the racetrack?

So here goes...I need lots of help with background info on the track... Info I need includes:

Track Owners / promoters through the years, with dates if possible
Years dirt / pavement
Any attendance records, even approximate (how many fans do those grandstands hold??)
Major races (Evans Memorial - was 87 the first year? every Memorial day, 200 laps I think?)
Any controversies with the community? (noise problems, court cases or legal issues, etc)
Events leading up to closing of the track
Interesting stories
AND last but not least...

Your own informal comments about the track and what it means to you as a driver or a fan.

BTW Did I hear somewhere that there was a push to make the track a historic landmark?

Plus any other info you can provide, or possible sources other than Tioga Website. I would appreciate any and all help -

Dan
ennaicrad@juno.com

Thedoebes

Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dan,
Buy a GATER RACING NEWS.There is a big four page spread on the history of the track.They sell them at the track.You can also get one at 07 Racing in Enwell,or you can check at Doug's Speedshop on COURT ST.
I know there were times where they said they had 5,ooo in the stands.I hope this can help you a little bit.I've been going there since 1962,so maybe I could give you some specific imfo.
Ron Doebler
thedoebes69ataol.com should be "at" key but my "at" key isn't printing right.
nan wood

Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i am trying to find out information on a driver who race back in 1948 - ? he was killed at the racetrack diving back then what they called a sprint car i know don owens had the track then the drvers name was john hoover he was also know as danby
Bakes

Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nan - Something like that would probably have made the Binghamton Press at that time. I plan on hitting the Broome Co library this fall to pull more info out of the papers from that time period - I'll email you anything I come up with.
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 1

Posted on Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Paperboy. Windy McDonald from Manzanita put out a huge hardcopy book on the history of racing in Az. Thunder in the Desert. It's full of pictures and interviews and results. I've been looking for the same from you experts. It's a pricey effort but I think he sold every copy and even signed them all.
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 415

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey desertdan, having lived in Phoenix for 16 months back in the fifties I had the pleasure of seeing Manzanita and South Mountain and the Ariz. State Fairgrounds. Got to see Wayne Weiler, Don Davis, Art Bisch, Bill Cheesburgh and the rest of the local Jalopy stars and CRA regulars for all of 1956 and half of 1957. While living there also got a chance to watch the Jalopy shows from California on the tube in glorious black and white. That would indeed be a neat book to have. A New York State book could be done as there is enough regional "experts" trouble is getting them all in the same place at the same time to put it all together. The Arizona book will be on my "wish list" now until I find one. Thanks for the input.
Moondogspot
Rookie

Post Number: 59

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Dan, haven't heard from you in a while. Nice to see you've finally signed up on this board!

I always thought it would be neat to see a book about Shangri-la much like Steve Barrick of Program Dynamics did for the Danbury Fair Racearena, each "chapter" was devoted to the different drivers that raced at the track with stories of their career there and photos of the different cars they raced.

I always felt Gater News should put out some form of "all photo" book that would present driver photos and action shots when they first started throuh the 80's or so. Maybe broken up by track (much like the original Gater Yearbooks were), then by decade. Imagine the photos they must have in their "vault". It could encompass every track in New York State. Hell, I'd buy one!
Desertdan
Rookie

Post Number: 2

Posted on Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wayne Weiler just passed away this year. Manzy, Ahh what a place to watch USAC 410's. Tough living here, I've been to 21 shows already this year.

I remember going to one of those Binghamton early year car shows and watching Richie trying to sell a whole box of those .15c Shangrila programs. I'd give alot for them now. I'm working on some good Trivia questions and reading all my old Gaters..to freshen up...

"Thunder in the Desert" which covers racing from 1909-1980. The book, which costs $59.95, is sold at Arizona Race Mart, 2231 South 7th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ (602-253-7001).
Trivia69
Winner

Post Number: 424

Posted on Thursday, March 30, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ever see an incident that stays with you forever. Back when I was a little guy and we went to Manzy for a early January show and just to spice it up they had some clowns and a thrill show and the like. Well Wayne Weiler had a blue #2 (I have no idea how I remember that)he knocked down a potrajohn with what I thought was was a clown inside. The clown had ducked out the back door just before Weiler splintered the portajohn. Got everybody's attention real quick. Used to live at 3028 Camelback Road which was about a 10 block walk to Manzanita Park at 35th and Broadway. That was also my first exposure to real sprint cars and the smell and noise they created. Talk about a real high. It made a real impression on a young boy who had seen only big old coupes from Glen Aubrey, Five Mile Point and Shangri-La.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration