Archive through May 30, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through May 30, 2005 < Previous Next >

fred smith

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

as to the question about duke's of hazzard here is a new question, who bleached their hair an acted like beau duke, a modified driver then?, not to make it real simple i will add clues later
Mark

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bo Duke..... Was he related to Jason Duke?!?!?
fred smith

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John Sneider played Bo Duke on duke's of Hazzard, I have been waiting for a responce, now a clue He was a regular of RoC at Langhorne and Trenton and Pocono now a NASCAR car owner. Maybe I'm out of line as he didn't race in the southern tier. more clues if interested
Mike

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Ray Hendrick?
fred smith

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ray Hendrick had blond hair but he's no longer with us, good guess, how about the builder of the first IROC cars? big help
Mike

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well no idea if this is right but this is what i meant to put the first time and got it mixed up Ray Evernham (not sure if thats how its spelled)
Mark

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ray Evernham didn't race at Langhorne as he started racing after Langhorne closed in 1971.
fred smith

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're a winner, when you mention ray hendrick i was wondering if you got the Ray s mixed up. Did I ever rash him about bleaching his hair and all He had fun
fred smith

Posted on Saturday, May 14, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm sorry about Langhorne, But your probably right as to when he started racing since i was the photographer for langhorne and RoC i automaticly included all tracks untill 1985 when I retired
Mike Barno

Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was at a 1980-ish weekend at Shangri-La where Richie Evans was putting on a racing school the day before a race. Evernham came up with a number 19 modified; might have been a notchback-Vega body. He learned more thoroughly than anybody else from Richie; then flipped on the homestretch in the race (or a heat) and turned his 19 into 61. ...TV's Bo Duke spelled his name "Schneider", I believe.
Schoonie34

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred,
What was the year that Ray Hendrick showed up at Shangri-La ( I believe it was an All Star event) and showed us what the begining of change in suspension thinking--the 11 coupe
Mike

Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1973??
Shamrock_3x

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fred,
My guess on the Ray Hendrick visit would be 1969.
My second guess would be 1968.
Paperboy

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think it was the summer of 1970 when Hendrick came to the All Star race. He ran second to Number6 Sr. in the 100 lap feature.

Hoag wrecked early, so the dream race of the day never materialized.
fred smith

Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The question about Ray Hendrick Visit to Shangri-la I have 2 photos and have them labled as 1970 Mike Monnet and I tried to keep the photos up to date that is Name, Home Town,track, and year. As to Ray Everham at Shangri-la I can't find photo in # 19 i may have been to another track that night
fred smith

Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have tried two times to get registered the second attempt says already regestered but i don't have password permission tried contact also
Moondogspot

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not so much trivia as interesting historic info on Shangri-la’s “early” years. The track was as an important stop on the American Automobile Association (AAA) Big Car (or sprint car) calendar.

In 1949, Shangri-la presented no less than nine AAA Eastern Big Car events. Here’s the results of those races…

DATE/WINNER/CAR
5/15 Ed Terry/Fitzer #4
6/19 Harry Eckert/Eckert #4
7/3 Johnny Mantz/Agajanian #98jr
8/7 Johnny Mantz/Agajanian #98jr
8/28 Jimmy Gibbons/Donleavy #6
9/18 Jimmy Gibbons/Donleavy #6
10/2 Harry Eckert/Eckert #4
10/9 Johnny Mantz/Agajanian #98jr
10/30 Tommy Hinnershitz/Hinnershitz #2
-Tommy Hinnershitz was clinched the 1949 AAA Eastern Big Car point champion following the 10/30 race at Shangri-la.
-The 5/15, 6/19. 9/18 and 10/2 races were co-sanctioned with the Eastern States Racing Association (ESRA)
=From the new book, “The Eastern Bull Rings: The History of the Eastern Big Car Championships 1945-1960” by Buzz Rose.

Pretty cool to see that a J.C. Agajanian-owned car won three races at Shangri-la with Johnny Mantz. “Aggie” was a many-time entrant of the Indy 500 as a car owner, winning the 500 in 1963 with Parnelli Jones. He also owned the legendary Ascot Park.

Also, cool to see that PA’s Tommy Hinnershitz won a race at Shangri-la. Hinnershitz is a sprint car legend whose claim to fame was mastering dirt ovals such as Reading. The “Flying Farmer”, as he is also known, ranks up there with Steve Kinser as one of the best, if not the best, to have wheeled a sprinter. His win at Shangri-la, which clinched the series championship, was unusual as Hinnershitz wasn’t known for his pavement prowess.
Mark

Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's interesting stuff anyway!
Mod2661

Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That All Star leage race was in early July 1970 and what a field of cars.Buzzie Reutiman,Will Cagle,Charlie Jarzombeck,Dick Clark,Jerry Cook,Richie Evans,PeeWee Griffen,Geoff Bodine,Lou Lazzaro,and alot of other great drivers of that time. That wreck was on the first lap and took out Dutch Hoag and alot of other cars.It happened coming out of turn 4.Maynard Troyer won with Ray Hendrick 2nd.
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

God, I love this place. You guys are a trip. That 1970 All Star race at Shangri-La turned quite a few heads. Anybody remember the night before at Lancaster when a thunder shower hit right before practice and Mr. Serwacki got out the "jet drier" and got the track ready in a short time. I can still see the look on Ray Hendrick's face when Serwacki fired up the jet motor. Anybody remember what car Will Cagle brought to these events. I actually though he might bring a legit pavement car, having won the ROC in 1966 with one. Moon Dog Spot where can I get one of those books you spoke about. There was a mention of Harry Eckert in the early Shangri-La post. Anybody know if that's the same Eckert as the Dowd/Eckert tandem that owned Eddie Gaiilione's Sprinter in the early days of URC at Shangri-La.
Paperboy

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cagle had bought a coupe from Richie Evans the previous fall (1969) which he ran at Langhorne. It was still orange then. Can't remember if he brought that car to Shangri La that day.
He also drove one of the Sandman No. 12 cars in some asphalt All Star events, but I believe that was in 1969, when Don Diffendorf was their regular shoe.
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A couple of unfinished items here. As most of you know I got side tracked with the events of early april and didn't get back to this forum until recently. I left a couple of unanswered questions on the table when I left and didn't finish what I started so here goes. The 1956-1962 question, the answer is Leon Hopkins and the car #'s were 603 and 15A. The upside club member was the patriarch of the Cooper family (Coop24 and Jack3) "Crash Cooper in a Bug #71 who flipped in the fourth turn in the 1st consi on opening day in June 1962. Also a long time ago I posed a question about the first ever announcer at Shangri-La not being Dusty Doyle, The very first week race announcing duties went to local radio announcer Sam Page who was about as inspiring as a dose of weedeater so Dusty was brought back. I'll leave with this question. Who were the first Florida invaders to run Supers at Shangri-La (they both showed up on the same night). Have a great day
Mark

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"inspiring as a dose of weedeater"..... oh really! That's too funny Mike!
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Imagine Will Cagle and Don Diffendorf on the same team. They both ran at Evergreen sometime in the 60's and had a fierce rivalry going there. I remember Diffendorf telling me about that when I did the stroy on hom for SCR back in 1972. Will had a habit of going off to some strange venue and dominating until somebody else figured out what was going on and showed up to challenge him. He did that at Devil's Bowl in Vermont in 1970. Cagle had at least one of the cars Paperboy spoke of at his disposal but chose not to use it.
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

what's the matter Mark, you don't find weedeater inspiring. I'm sure a lot of the flowers(??) do. And you need a little levity in this forum now and then.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration