Archive through April 26, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through April 26, 2005 < Previous Next >

Tangletongue

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The late nights are getting to me... Got to thinking about that Chemung accident and as I recall, Griffin's car was a '62 Chevy hardtop, not a Chevelle... oops.
Getting back to Shangri-La, Bob Frisbie's second Modified had a unique body style.( still using stock sheet metal at the time...) Anyone remember what it was? On top of that, can anyone remeber what happened to his first modified at Shangri-la?
Mark

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the great Maverick body??
Orange16

Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There was a Bob Lary who drove LM's at Shangri-La in the early 70's. Darned if I would have been able to identify him by number though.
Moondogspot

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about some Shangri-la street stock trivia circa 1980?

Last night, I caught a re-run of the Dukes of Hazzard (which is now on nightly on CMT)which got me thinking of this one..

Now, probably every short track in the country back then had at least one stocker painted up like the "star car" of that TV show..

So... what Shangri-la street stock driver had his car painted up exactly like the "General Lee"?

Mark

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Pozzi had the #01 in '80.....
Moondogspot

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chris Pozzi it is.
Turbo01

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I actually knew one and was too late.
Tangletongue

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mark: The Maverick body it was... It wasn't the only Maverick bodied Modified of the era, but they were few and this one was one of the nicest done...my opinion. Maybe someone can clear this up, Bob brought out the Maverick in '77 (after running that beautiful red Camaro LM in '76) but I'm sure that I've heard he bought the car from someone else. I made very few races in '76, but I don't remember a Maverick bodied car that year. By the way, any ideas on what happened to Bob's first Shangri-La Mod?
Moondogspot

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tangletongue, I'll take a guess at what happenend to Bob Frisbee's first Shangri-la mod:

My earliest Shangri-la memory was seeing someone crash "out of the ballpark" in turn one. I was too young to remember who it was though.

Not long ago, while at track in Arizona of all places, I just happened to sit next to someone who moved out to AZ from the Southern Tier. He used to attend Shangri-la weekly. I mentioned this crash and asked if he remembered it. He said, “it must have been Bob Frisbee”.

Is that the answer you were looking for?

(Message edited by MoonDogSpot on April 22, 2005)
37_coupe

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't one of the frisbie's launch off the first turn bank, hit the trees and leave half of the coupe body up in the tree?
Fordman12

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrong Frisbee....

That was Chuck "The Flying" Frisbee in a #30 Falcon bodied car.
Moondogspot

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well. Come to think of it, he may have said it was Chuck, not Bob. Thanks Fordman12.

For some reason, after the dust settled, I remember him firing the car back up and then driving it back through the pit gate.

Then again, I was only three or four years old at the time.
Tangletongue

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are all making me feel old! Your guess wasn't bad Moondogspot... but I think a couple of stories got mixed together. Big Bad Bob debuted a Modified on opening night in 1973 (my first year in the real world after graduating College) and on the first lap of his heat he flipped over the first turn dirt bank. I think that car (the frame, anyway) was rebuilt into a LM which Bob ran for the next couple of years.
Paperboy

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob Frisbe drove a white coupe No. 40 at Shangri La earlier than 1973. It may have been owned by someone else, I don't know whether he owned it, or not. that would have been 69 or 70, I think.
fred smith

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

paperboy I couldn't find the picture of Bob Frisbe in 40 but Al Scutt owned 40 with numerous drivers
Tangletongue

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob also drove cars numbered 40 on occasion at Chemung, Woodhull, Dundee, and I believe Ithaca-Dryden and Addison Hill from the mid sixties thru '70 or '71, all on an irregular basis. I was always under the assumption that he was a "hired gun" in those cars... I may be wrong. Also, I don't think he did any regular racing at Shangri-La or Chemung in 1969, because in '68 and '69, as I recall, he was racing Super Sprints at Selingsgrove and Port Royal. Paul Johnson from Dundee ran a blacktop LM numbered 40 in the early seventies at Chemung and Shangri-La, and I don't think Paul owned that car... may have been the same team?
Tangletongue

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Fred, I was typing while you were answering... your post jogged the memory. I'm pretty sure the #40 that Bob visited Woodhull with in '65 and '66 was owned by Scutt, and I'm pretty sure the Johnson LM was not a Scutt car... answered two questions with a one line post... Thanks again.
Paperboy

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, I have the picture of that no. 40 coupe, which I bought at Fred's photo stand at Shangri La back in those old days. A white Ford coupe with red numbers. It could well have been an Al Scutt owned car.
I have many other Fred Smith photos from late sixties and early seventies.
Moondogspot, I wonder if the guy you saw in Arizona was Danny Estelle, who grew up in Candor, and went to Shangri-La regularly until re-locating with IBM in 1992. He lives in Tucson now.

(Message edited by paperboy on April 23, 2005)
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paperboy,
Yes. It was Dan. Just by happenstance I sat next to him at Manzanita a few years back and I'd see him during my yearly trips down there. We'd talk about Shangri-la quite a bit. Come to find out, we used to sit in the same area of the grandstands too. If you talk to him tell him I said hi or shoot me an e-mail at: mooney66@earthlink.net
Moondogspot

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Guess it's time for some more Shangri-la trivia:

1. Who finished second to race winner Bob Harkey in an ARDC midget event at Shangri-la in 1962?

2. Name the 1980’s-era Shangri-la feature winner who went on to win the Indy 500.

Billt

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how about gordon johncock ,as the 80's era winner
Les

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Question #2, How about Buddy Lazier
Moondogspot

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice try Billt. It wasn't Gordo.

Les has the answer to #2-Buddy Lazier-winner of a 100 lap feature segment in the 1988 American Indy Car Series event at Shangri-la. Lazier went on to win the 1996 Indianapolis 500.

Still looking for an answer to #1. Hint: The driver in question also went on to win the Indy 500.
Paperboy

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mario Andretti in 1962 ARDC
Moondogspot

Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mario it was.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration