Archive through April 05, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through April 05, 2005 < Previous Next >

Paperboy

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Flyin' Bryan Osgood for the upside down club ?
Racewear

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Mike how about Monk Rough. Sorry not sure on the spelling.
Fordman12

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe that Raceware may be correct.

Ken "Monk" Rauch was from Owego.
In 56 he was the top of his game, in 62, he must have been near the end of his career. He was seriously injured at 5MP somewhere around that time.

Trivia 69
We're you able to save most of your stuff from the flood waters? Hope your Okay....
Bakes

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Monk Rauch drove an 18 Jr. if I recall correctly - but don't know if that's the number he drove in '62.

I have a pic or two of the old grandstands - they were huge.

Last coupe may have been Joe Norton's Old Nell, the 3X that Benny Stephens drove. Didn't Randy Hedger get his start in that car as well? Glad to see that car is still around and very nicely restored.

"Shangri La - The Garden Spot of Auto Racing..." Shame they have to dig in the garden. grumble mutter snarl...
Bakes

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In a similar vein, who drove:

a. the last Pinto to race at the track?

b. the last Vega to race at the track?

c. the last Gremlin to race at the track?
Jhoward3car11

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes, you are right that Monk drove the 18 jr. That is the number I raced on one of my pure stocks the night they inducted him into the hall of fame at Five Mile Point! I raced that number in his honor as he is my great uncle and my grandmother ( his sister ) and some other immediate family members went down as they honored him as 1 of the 50 greatest drivers. I thought it was great that they asked me to put his # on my car to honor him! It's not too often some of us new generation racers are able to represent something that special! FMP did a great job that night and they treated the family unbelievably great! I only wish I were able to share more memories of him but unfortunately, as time passes most of my family that was there too support him have moved on to the big picture in the sky. I was in Owego this week for a family members passing and it is amazing that even during a time of such sorrow that racing stories were so readily told and brought instant smiles and fond memories to those who can still make your imagination paint a picture with the words they speak! I wish I were able to see some of my heritage out there on the track as I even hear stories of Monk and my Grandfather ( Jim Howard Sr. ) battleing it out on the track! If there were some video's out there I would pay to have a copy! I would give anything to have some of the memories all of you fellow Race New Yorkers can share! By all means, keep sharing and I will be happy to continue reading and painting my own picture! There's only one thing I wish I could do and that is to race at least once at "Shangri La" where my racing roots were planted long before I was even thought too sprout!

Jim Howard III # 11 Wide Open Racing!
Fordman12

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think "Monk's" last car was the 18 jr. a little blue and white coupe. That was the car that he was injured in at 5MP.

Prior to that, I think he ran just 18 Owego as his number.

I may be wrong. Afterall, that was a long time ago.
Raceguy

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill Owen invested 35,000 to get Shangri-La up and running....

Bill owned a hunting lodge named "Shangri-La", named after the hidden valley in James Hilton's book "Lost Horizon".

The daughter of Bill Owen is a good family friend, and has hopes of making it here to see the speedplant run one more time this summer. If she gets here, I hope to take her for a ride around the legendary track that her dad made possible.
(I might just put the "circle 48" on the car that night!):-)
Biminiblue7

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

^
Mark

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cool, Biminiblue7 made it here!
Raceguy, let me know if Nancy needs any help getting here or whatever.....
Bakes

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim, was the funeral for Jesse? My condolences. My mom (Gert Baker) has known that side of the family for basically forever. Owego Flat-rats stick together... lol!!

Monks' 18 Jrs are all gone now, aren't they? Last my dad heard they were up at the back of Cassidy's junk yard back when it was on 434, and when they cleared that yard the cars went with it.

Raceguy, that would be cool as hell if you could do the Circle 48 thing. Hmm, wonder whatever happened to Wayne Edwards' Kneisel chassis car that he wrecked? It was apparently sitting around for a while... yet another Circle 48! I doubt that Bill Owens' old Sprinter is around anymore. *THAT* would be cool - have a car that raced there the first year the track was open make an appearance.
Jhoward3car11

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bakes, thanks, that is correct. We had Jesse's funeral last wednesday. I definately had a great time listening to family members speak about some of my heritage in the roots of Owego! Makes it interesting to visit.
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fordman12, Thanks for asking, As for my stuff, right now I'm not sure as I'm at my cousin's house in Apalachain as I'm doing this. Before I left my place I put everything up high. Hopefully it was high enough. Probably won't get back to my place to at least tomorrow night or Wednesday at the earliest. Monk Rauch was through by the 1962 season (I think he was injured in either '60 or '61) so it wasn't him. Another hint was that he finished second in the 1956 finale behind Keith Hackley in the #60 car with a car #603 and when he resurfaced in 1962 he drive a blue and white coupe with a Flathead motor. Hint on the upside down club driver is that part of the third generation contributes on the raceny forum quite frequently. Jim Howard, I think it would be tremendous if you could somehow be a participant in one of the last shows. Raceguy, as a longtime viewer of the Shangri-La/Tioga scheme of things I could think of nothing better than to have Bill Owens' daughter be maybe the grand marshall of the last event. How about it Chris Z.Good idea.
Thedoebes

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who was the first modified point champion when the track reopened for the first full season in 1964,and what was his number?There was also a team car that year.Who drove it,and what was that number?I know TRIVA69 and VINTAGE44 know the answer,since we've talked about it a few different times.

Ron Doebler
Bakes

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike Zopp in the 04 (or was he dominant a year or two later?) and the team car was maybe Don Yeingst?
Racewear

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not Monk Rauch how about Bud Miller or Gordy Struble??
Moondogspot

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I probably shouldn't be allowed to answer Ron's '64 champion/team car question, because a: my father worked on the car and b: it was a little before my time, but I heard a story that goes with the team car:

Bakes is right...1964-Mike Zopp-#04 owned by Wes German.

The team car's car number was "Circle-04". My dad says, "Everybody drove it...when it wasn't wrecked!" In fact, the only pictures I ever saw of the car were some B&W home photos taken of it sitting on a trailer the morning after it was wadded up at Shangri-la.

He says Eddie Prentice and Joe Donahue were two drivers that drove the Circle-04.

Mike painted the words HELLO WALL on the hood of the team car, because "it was always wrecked".

(Message edited by MoonDogSpot on April 04, 2005)
Trivia69

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Racewear, I'll bet if your uncle was still alive he could answer the 1956-62 question. As an aside to The Dobes, Zopp had an eight race winning streak in 1964 on his was to the championship and the track put a bounty on his head. The question is who collected the bounty. If memory serves here, Zopp only won one more fesature in 1964 and one more the rest of his Shangri-La career. He also shares a piece of local trivia with Nokie Fonoro. Does anybody know what that is.
Mark

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Who ended Zopp's victory streak is a good one.....
Racewear

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike could the number be Triple Ace's??
Mike if you can e-amil me at
racewear@bellsouth.net
Fordman12

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia 69

Was it Dutch Hoag In the Turner Bros. 18?
Racewear

Posted on Monday, April 04, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the bounty I will say Biily Blum.
Trivia69

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give the Fordman a Gold Star. Somebody mentioned Gordy Struble. Struble was running the Ralph Held coupe at Five Mile Point at the time and didn't run at Shangri-La. In 1963 his brother or maybe cousin Mike Struble ran a Super Modified for about a month and a half that had a Buick motor and was numbered #757. At that time Shangri-La didn't have any lights but due to the very warm summer the Sunday afternoon Super shows were halted in June. Who won the last Sunday afternoon feature in his only Shangri-La appearance and who won the first Friday night feature in his only Shangri-La Super Modified win. Racewear I will email you when I can get back into my house.
Mark

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The WNY guy with an alias in the '62 question has won in the Lancaster Modified division......
Moondogspot

Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69:
Last Sunday afternoon Super show winner: I'll say "Irish" Jack Murphy?
First Friday night Super show winner: Don Diffendorf (10-10)?

Mark:
WNY guy with an alias in the '62 question: I have one "history book" that mentions Cam Gagliardi?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration