Archive through April 03, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile
RaceNewYork * Track Trivia * SHANGRI-LA/TIOGA TRIVIA * Archive through April 03, 2005 < Previous Next >

Larry756

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jerry Hayes
Benny Stephens
Moondogspot

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for Auto Sport by Jiri #78:
The three I remember were (some clues):

-A former modified track champ
-A Justice of the Peace & ex-URC sprint driver
-A sports car driver

Mod27ny

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

DUANE ALGIRE IS 1 OF THEM
Paperboy

Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Dutch Hoag took a drive or two in that No. 78. Dale Campfield was a sportscar driver before he became a promoter. Is he the other driver of the No. 78?
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The three Jiri drivers I remember (in the '76-'78 seasons) were:
-Don Diffendorf
-Duane Algire (Mod27ny picked up the clues on that one).
-And the sports car driver was a guy I think was named Dave Nickles? (not to be confused with Dave Nichols).
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paperboy:
I asked my dad, and he says he seems to remember Dutch Hoag driving the #78 a time or two as well.
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Round of Shangri-la Speedway “First” and “Last” Trivia:

1-The main grandstand seats that were built when Shangri-la first opened in 1946 are not the same stands that exist today. What became of the original stands?
2-Who was the winner of the very first NASCAR-sanctioned modified feature at Shangri-la?
3-Who won the last URC-sanctioned “sprint car” race at Shangri-la?
4-What car owner has the distinction of fielding the last pre-War coupe bodied modified to win a feature at Shangri-la?

Also, anyone want to share the story of why Shangri-la was named “Shangri-la”?
Trivia69

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dutch Hoag did drive the #78 a couple of times and the other three names, Diffendorf, Nickels and Algier are also correct. As far as the track record thing. I can't put my finger on those stats right now but I don't ever remember the Supers ever running time trials.
How about a couple WOO drivers that competed in that ill-fated Indy Car series. Another one is what driver(s) have won the a feature in the most different classes at Tioga/Shangri-La.
Last one, what driver who finished in the top five on re-opening day in June of 1962 used an alias and for what reason.
My bad on Chris Perley Paperboy. Found my notes on that show after I posted that reply. A big DUH on my part. Also looking for an Ark to ourchase quickly, thanks!
Trivia69

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Moondogspot. Answers
1-great question, don't for sure but maybe went to Tioga County Fairgrounds?
2-Bugsy Stevens
3-Jim Shampine
4-Dutch Hoag (maybe)
Shangri-La was the mythical place that was allegedly the epitome of all places. The original owners thought that fact would draw fans if they called their track Shangri-La and used the slogan "the garden spot of auto racing" . Can't resist this one.
The only driver (at least the only one I can verify) that competed in the last race in 1956 and the first race in 1962 and as a bonus what were the car #'s. I have a couple of hints for this one if you all struggle.
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia69:
1-The original stands burned down.
Paul Jackson, who owned a drag strip in Savannah, NY, inquired about leasing Shangri-la from the Owens' for drag racing on the front stretch when the oval was shut down in the 50's. The town of Owego OK'ed the drags IF the grandstands were razed (apparently they had been condemned). Jackson got a local hot rod club, The Reciprocators, to set fire to the stands in a controlled burn supervised by the Owego Fire Dept. This was probably in 1958 according to one of the "arsonists". From looking at old pictures, those stands were huge.

(Message edited by MoonDogSpot on April 02, 2005)
Moondogspot

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh yeah, #2 is correct-Bugs
#3 is correct (URC was worried about a small field of sprints and invited the supers to run with the them. Shampine drove his super to the victory).
As for #4-I was thinking that this car owner's coupe won a feature in the NEARA years. He had contructed a newer Vega, but would bring along the coupe too. Maybe?
Paperboy

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it the No. 15 McClure coupe?

Or was it the No. 3x of Joe Norton / Bennie Stephens

(Message edited by paperboy on April 02, 2005)
Mod27ny

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess for the driver who raced under an alias is Ronnie Lux ...as not to have USAC find out
As for the last coupe I'd say Sonny Seamons was the last
Mark

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know the '62 opener alias one was a WNY guy and it wasn't Ron Lux.....

(Message edited by Mark on April 02, 2005)
super_mod

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the track record according to our memory is shared with bentley warren and scott martel. both time trialed the same posted time before t/trials were called off due to a blown motor by another car. it was one of the last isma races held there.
Flattire

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One question that I haven't seen an answer to was who has won an A feature in the most divisions. I'd have to guess Rick Zacharias. The classes if I am correct would be late models, sportsman, B-mod, modified, and maybe street stocks way back in the day.
Mark

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'd say three classes for Rick Zacharias with Modifieds, Late Models that evolved from Street Stocks, and Sportsman/B-Modified victories.
Trivia69

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

One driver has won is four different divisions and I'll give you a hine he can be seen every once in while in the Tioga pits and he and I share a common avocation. No takers on the 1956-62 question? The Ron Lux answer is a neat one seeing as how he also used an alias once in a while and he also drove for the same owner as tha alias question. I have a picture taken at Lebanon Valley of Ron Lux in a two tone coupe throwing dirt over the fence at one of the monthly opens. I kinda figured that Mark would pick up on that one. Another one is; who was the patriarch of a three generation racing family who was christened the upside down club that same day in June of 1962. Enjoy
Fordman12

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia 69

Would that other 4 class winner be Mike Casterline?
Fordman12

Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia 60

The 56 -62 question.

My 1st guess would "Bullet" Bill Stroshal.
I think it could also be "Irish" Joe Donahue.
Moondogspot

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trivia 69:
Two World of Outlaws sprint car drivers in the American Indy Car Series races at Shangri-la:
Robbie Unser and Richard "The Gas Man" Griffin both ran with the Outlaws at some point.

One driver who has won in four different divisions:
Mike Casterline
Also Ronnie Shephard: Mods, B-mods, Street Stocks and Microds (OK, that's pushin' it).

The 1956-1962 question:
Like Fordman12, I'll go with Stroshal. But, I'll say Nolan Swift is possible too.

Patriarch of a three generation family who christened the "upside down club" in '62:
I'll say Jim Zacharias

Moondogspot

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As for the last coupe to win a modified feature, someone is going to have to find an old program.

I could have sworn Joe Norton's coupe 3X with Benny Stephens at the wheel won a feature in '77 ... although the McClure #15 with Bolia and Sonny Seamon's yellow #50 are probably close as well to being the last.
Raceguy

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

1) What was the dollar amount ventured by Mr. Owen to build Shangri-La?

2) Why did Mr. Owen name the track Shangri-La?
Mark

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ben Stephens' three Modified victories came from '77-'78. I'm pretty sure his '78 win came in a Vega remembering the picture from then (without looking) as I have the race papers from that era. I THINK he won in '77 with a Coupe #3x......
Trivia69

Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bill Strosahl isn't the correct answer. He did run the last race in 1956 but didn't run the first race in 1962. Frankie Thompson of Shrewsbury, Pa. was the driver of the McClure #15 on opening day 1962. Strosahl didn't start driving the McClure car until 1964. Joe Donahue did drive in the first race in 1962 but not the last one in 1956. A hint on the driver is he was the only driver in the field in 1962 that actually was from Owego. Mike Casterline is the correct answer of the most class wins with 4 different classes. Richard Griffin and Robbie Unser is the correct answer for the WOO driver question. Jim Zacharias is not the correct of the upside down club answer.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration